Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Playing Hookie

Okay all, I played hookie from work today and trying something different on this blog...a lot of pictures. I figured after up teem dozen hours working on my website, blogging and editing this page, and doing the illustrations for one of my children's books...I deserved a break. That the beauty of being self employed as a freelance writer and author...I can divvy up my time the way I like so long as I don't break my deadlines.

My idea of a break is what any good grandma would do...I called one of my grandchildren to make cookies. This is my number two grandson, Triston, and my youngest daughter, Jennifer. There's nothing better than the smile you get from children after making something yummy.
In case, y'all were wondering...my youngest does this for a living.
Yes, she's a pastry chef. Great for her, but being a diabetic...it's HORRIBLE for me. Back to my grandson and my playing hookie today. I couldn't leave Triston hanging...after all, it was his day at grandma's house. We decided to go to the playground. So I called...


his brother, Camren...


and his cousin, Grant and ...they all had a blast!

Today wasn't totally hookie day, after all the playing around I did manage to get some work done. If you can call it that.

My current children's series of books involves candy as characters...so this grandma just had to go to the store for candy bars and create a new story for her grands. I call it research and product testing. My grandchildren, although this was only three of six, call it fun and a sugar rush time.

When I do the story-telling a big pile of candy sits in the middle of the floor with this author and her grandchildren making a circle around the pile. As I mention a candy character, the first grand to find the correlating candy bar gets to keep and eat it after the story is done. Each time I mention a character/candy bar, the child is suppose to stand up and wave it. Yes, I buy several different types of bars in lots of three. It's a madhouse romp! I always run my children stories by my grandchildren. After all, they are my target audience. I usually finish my story just in time to send them home to their parents...I just love being a grandma!

5 comments:

Ryan said...

Hi J.L.,
I saw your comment on my blog Ryan's 3 Rs, and I would like to say thank you for your advice. Coming from a writer those are some great tips.

In regards to your post, I want to play hookie too. To bad I just started my job so that would be bad. I love playing with my nephews, all boys. They can get very crazy. I love riling them up and leaving them to my sister! I would love to read one of your stories. I am sure my newphews would get a kick out of if also! Thank you again!! take care.

luis vasquez said...

Hey i will surely look at bravehost.com to see what they have to offer thanks.

J.L. Murphey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J.L. Murphey said...

You are most welcome Luis.

J.L. Murphey said...

Ryan,

Thanks for taking a look at my blog. The first story in the Candyland series is due out fall 2008 and the second and third Spring 2009...see (So you want to be a published author) another one of my rantings. I will be updating my blog to include release dates and my website also.