Friday, June 15, 2007

Writing & Networking


As I've said in a previous post, I am the master juggler. I leave tomorrow for a four out of seven day Southeastern Writer's Association Conference. It's all about networking. Then after the pit stop at the conference, I have to take my youngest daughter to college in north Georgia, and do a personal appearance. If I can find a wi-fi connection, I'll blog, if not I'll be gone until the 22nd of June. Will ya miss me?

So now, I'm doing laundry, washing my dishes from dinner, packing my clothes and toiletries, getting my notes, business cards, extra blank Cd's and assorted other things together. Oh darn, forgot to pack a ream of paper in the crate. Be right back.

Why am I doing this you may ask. There are several reasons.

1. Because no matter how much you know you can bet there is someone out there who knows more. I used to use "Death is the absence of learning" as a tag line on all my emails. This is true. Sometimes you have to get into the thick of things before you can write with experience. In your life, you never stop learning, adjusting and adapting.

2. No matter how BIG cyberspace is, you still have to get out and meet people. It's a personal networking thing. It allows people to attach a person with the book and vice-versa. I email a few dozen other authors throughout the year, but we look forward to at least once a year getting together in person. It's not all work or maybe not what most people consider work. There are all night how's-that-dones and who-dunits. One author friend brings water pistols, we order pizza, bring coolers of soft drinks (alcohol is not allowed in the Methodist Center where this is held each year). Of course we also bring our works in progress (WIP). We critique each other's works, have water pistol murders to see which way bodies will fall, and crazy stuff like that.

3. Of course, yours truly has a speaking gig as part of the conference. Do I really know more than these people I'm speaking to? Uh huh, no way. But I might have a different way of getting the subject across. It is also a chance to hear other views. It also gives the writer a shot in the arm of excitement, enthusiasm, and writing energy. I try to make two or three conferences a year. Writing is a fairly solitary pursuit. Hours, weeks, and months are spent sitting in front of your computer or laptop. Most times you are surrounded with notes, reference books and assorted other writer tools all encircling you like the old covered wagons traveling west when the Indians attacked. The one I really want to go to is in Canada, but that a fair piece to travel for me...not only clear across the country but in another country.

4. As a writer, never underestimate human contact. Networking is all about the handshake and speaking niceties. You've heard the saying, "Fifteen minutes of Fame?" Well with the publishers, and agents at conferences that's all you get. You make your pitch. Even seasoned writers have something to pitch. There is always a better deal out there, a larger literary agency, or some such. Conferences are filled with would-be writers, published authors, agents, and publishers. If anyone can commiserate with a writer's life...another writer can.

5. Networking is a fancy name for marketing. It is essential. It can make or break a writer. You have to sell yourself. You have to sell your expertise behind your writing. You have to sell your writing. Sell, Sell, Sell... either I'm imitating a stock broker or I'm a telemarketer. Nah, I'm just an author wanting to stay in business.

6. When published, you become a public figure...either adored or hated. You have to have a tough outer skin for criticism...there is a critic around ever corner and everyone has an opinion. Even if they, the critics, did not like your work, they read it.
I have spent so much time in the past three years in front of this computer writing books, articles, and stories promoting myself fell by the wayside until a couple of months ago. I used to be an international marketer expanding US market products overseas until I retired to the more "sedated" life of writng full time four years ago.

I've started looking at self-promotion into the cyberworld. This goes beyond writer's forums which are on my links of favorite places to hang out. Although those places are good to hone your skills and promote some things, I realized I needed to do more. It was brought home to me in spades one evening after a church social, when a fellow church member told me that she didn't know I was a writer. Now, I live in a fairly small town where I thought everyone knew everyone else's business...I was wrong.

My first step, at my children's urging, was to start a myspace site. I never knew so many writers I knew were on there. Then it was this blog, developing my website (which I put off for YEARS), and a second blog here on alternative health information. I always knew how important networking was in business, but forgot that writing was my business also. But even with all this juggling, I still ...write on!

2 comments:

Epoch [z] said...

So, it seems like it's all about the balance here. You've got stuff to do but you 'juggle' pretty evenly. There's the book to be written, the conferences, everything.

I guess when it comes to the whole concept of marketing, I don't really think of writers. It's more telemarketers, stock brokers, and agents. Now it seems stupid not to acknowledge writers as marketers, I mean how else would you (us, they, we, whatever) get the book out there. Makes a lot of sense now. Using the net as a high speed commercial, yeah, that works a lot to. Information gets spread out faster and you've got a broader audience. I think it's good that you've got a myspace and started a blog along with a website. Hey, whatever works to sell the stuff and pay the bills.

~Epoch [z]

J.L. Murphey said...

Epoch, all of life is about balance. Actually, there are five books in progress. :) Anything you do is a job whether you get paid or not. Writing for me is a profession. I get paid for it and am self-employed. As with any business venture advertising is the key to growth and your paycheck depends on it.